Fran works six days a week in fast food, and yet she’s homeless: ‘It’s economic slavery’
Fran Marion and Bridget Hughes are leading voices in Stand Up Kansas City, part of the Fight for $15 movement that aims raise the minimum wage across the US
Once a customer has barked their order into the microphone at the Popeyes drive-thru on Prospect Avenue, Kansas City, the clock starts. Staff have a company-mandated 180 seconds to take the order, cook the order, bag the order and deliver it to the drive-thru window.
The restaurant is on short shift at the moment, which means it has about half the usual staff, so Fran Marion often has to do all those jobs herself. On the day we met, she estimates she processed 187 orders roughly one every two minutes. Those orders grossed about $950 for the company. Marion went home with $76.
Despite working six days a week, Marion, 37, a single mother of two, cant make ends meet on the $9.50 an hour she gets at Popeyes (no apostrophe founder Al Copeland joked he was too poor to afford one). A fast food worker for 22 years, Marion has almost always had a second job. Until recently, she had been working 9am-4pm at Popeyes, without a break, then crossing town to a janitorial job at Bartle Hall, the convention center, where she would work from 5pm- to 1.30am for $11 an hour. She didnt take breaks there either, although they were allowed.
- The recent news that a grand jury in Michigan has indicted three people, including two doctors, for2 Shares
- (CNN)It’s one of the age-old medical flip-flops: First coffee’s good for you, then it0 Shares
- Visit for the effect of Ganoderma Lucidum (Reishi) herb according to modern medical research.0 Shares
- In a decades-long struggle to control her weight, Carolyn Mills joined the YMCA many times, signed u0 Shares
- 0 Shares
- If enacted, the bill would be the largest single transfer of wealth to the rich from the middle clas0 Shares
- (CNN)Pharmacist Barry Cadden was sentenced to nine years in prison Monday after his facility caused0 Shares
- Using Office for National Statistics data, Sir Michael, who has advised both the government and Worl0 Shares
- After months of radio silence from both Pitts and Jolies camps, the actress is opening up in a new i0 Shares
- 50 Things That Made the Modern Economy highlights the inventions, ideas and innovations that helped0 Shares
Most Shared Posts
- The Life-Changing Magic Of Taking Long Walks
- 50 Shades Of Gaslighting: Disturbing Signs An Abuser Is Twisting Your Reality
- We surveyed 112 Puerto Rican funeral homes to check the accuracy of the hurricane death toll. This is what we found.
- Amazon Threat Causes Shakeout in the Health-Care Industry
- What Would Happen If Everyone In The United States Went Vegan?